Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Things that help

After my post on Monday, I was left feeling negative about the situation that occurred. I know the opinions of others shouldn't matter to me, and for the most part, they really don't. All of this is new for me, and I know that through God and my family and friends, we will figure it all out. I appreciate all the prayers that are being said for us. It is comforting to know that there are so many people that genuinely care about our family. 

I've received so many reminders over the last few days that I am a strong mom, and that God made me Brendan's mom for reason. I've read stories of other families experiences with "meltdowns" and it's has all been refreshing. My friend Ashley sent this to me on Monday: 

She sent it just at the right moment. Just the reminder I needed to get through the day. My friend Rosa also sent me a card that just helped to remind me that I am capable of handling all this. 

With that said, I wanted to focus on some of the things we are doing that help to make life a little easier for all of us! 

We use this visual calendar for Brendan so he knows where he is going each day of the week
He loves this thing. He checks it every day and it's been much easier to get him to his different drop offs because he knows where he is already going. He even will change the weather if he walks outside and sees that it is different than what's on his schedule. 

We also use a first-then model for completing homework.
Brendan hates doing homework. Once we made all the choices that he likes, this tool started working great. We struggle a little, but not near as much as before we used this tool. 

We've also started using doterra oils. We have oil that we put directly on him and have also started using a diffuser in the house. 
Since starting these, we've noticed that Brendan just seems to relax a little more. There is a little more focus in him as well. He will even put the oil on himself once in a while.

We also have a vitamin that we have been using since before we found out Brendan is autistic.

We give this to him everyday. It has done wonders for us. When Brendan does not take this vitamin, he is more irritable, high strung and difficult to manage. It really does just take him down a notch. Plus, he is not the best with fruits and veggies. This vitamin really gets him a lot of the nutrients that he needs. 

The last thing that has been very helpful has been Brendan's teacher. We couldn't ask for a better teacher for Brendan. She cares so much about his development. She constantly lets me know how things are going and makes sure to let me know when he is doing great! 
These are things that we definitely need. So often you hear the negative, but the positive is what keeps us going. 

I want to thank you all again for all the prayers and positive encouragement. I really do appreciate it all. We have a long journey ahead of us. There are going to be some bad days. The only way we are going to get through it, is with God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment